Marine Farming Licence (On-Water) - Tasmania


You will need this licence if you intend to operate a marine farm. You will be responsible for ensuring that the operations are sustainable and do not have an unacceptable impact on the marine environment.

Species currently commercially farmed in Tasmania include abalone, mussels, oysters, seahorses, trout and salmon.

If you intend to farm fin-fish, you will need an Environmental Licence issued by the Environmental Protection.

Due to the restrictive nature of this licence, please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a licence, you must hold a Marine Farm Lease. Other significant restrictions and legislated rules apply to the application of this licence.




Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Transfer Application All

Fee information is in the attached forms.

Act(s) name

Living Marine Resources Management Act 1995 Tasmania

Regulation(s) name

Fisheries (General and Fees) Regulations 2016 Tasmania

Administering agency

Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment

Water and Marine Resources

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Marine Farming Branch

Water and Marine Resources

Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment

Operating address: Lands Building
Level 3
134 Macquarie Street
Hobart, Tasmania 7000
Mailing address: GPO Box 44
Phone: 1300 368 550
Website: Sea Fishing and Aquaculture (Opens in new window)