You will need to comply with this code if you intend to keep pigs. This code sets out the minimum floor area that a pig can be kept in.
This code also sets out the minimum requirements for the welfare of pigs, including those kept under intensive and extensive conditions. It is intended as a guide for those responsible for the welfare and husbandry of pigs.
The basic needs of pigs include, but are not limited to:
- readily accessible, appropriate and sufficient food and water
- adequate shelter to protect from climatic extremes
- opportunity to display appropriate patterns of behaviour
- physical handling in a manner which minimises the likelihood of unreasonable or unnecessary pain or distress
- protection from and / or rapid diagnosis and correct treatment of injury or disease
- freedom for necessary movement including to stand, stretch and lie down
- visual and social contact with other pigs.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance that may be required.