Motor Boat Drivers Licence - Tasmania


You will need this licence if you intend to drive a recreational vessel. Recreational vessels include Personal Water Craft (PWC), such as jet skis.

Please note:

  • You may apply for recognition of your interstate motor boat drivers licence.
  • You will need a PWC endorsement on your motor boat drivers licence if you intend to drive a PWC.
  • You will need a certificate of competency from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (ASMA) if you intend to operate a vessel commercially.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


You will not need this licence if you intend to:

  • drive a boat with an engine less than 2.9kW (4 horsepower)
  • use a hire and drive vessel that cannot exceed a speed of 8 knots.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be at least 17 years old
  • have passed a BoatSafe Practical Tuition course (please check with the Agency for a full list of Accredited Providers).

To obtain a PWC endorsement you must also complete a PWC Practical Course with Surf Life Saving Tasmania.

If you intend to drive a vessel in a commercial capacity, you must have the certificates of competency to do so. Please see the document attached for more information.

If you are aged between 12 and 17 years old and have passed a Boatsafe Practical Tuition course, you may apply for a provisional licence. Provisional licence holders must always be accompanied by a responsible adult and cannot operate a motor boat at night, go faster than 20 knots, or tow a skier.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


30 June


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are listed on the attached document.

Act(s) name

Marine and Safety Authority Act 1997 Tasmania

Local law(s) name

Marine and Safety (Motor Boats and Licences) By-Laws 2013

Application process


To obtain your licence you must complete the theory section of the Boatsafe Licence Course, after which you will receive a conditional licence. Once you have successfully completed the practical section of the licence course (within 6 months of achieving your conditional licence) your licence will be converted to a full Motor Boat Licence.

Please note:

  • The same system applies for provisional licence holders.
  • Conditional licence holders have restrictions: a six-month expiry date, maximum speed of 20 knots, cannot tow a skier, cannot operate a vessel at night, and can only operate in smooth and sheltered waters.

Administering agency

Marine and Safety Tasmania

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Marine and Safety Tasmania

Operating address: Port Tower Building
Level 1
18 Hunter Street
Hobart, Tasmania 7000
Mailing address: GPO BOX 607
Hobart, Tasmania 7001
Phone: 1300 135 513
Phone: 03 6235 8888
Fax: 03 6233 5662
Website: Marine and Safety Tasmania (Opens in new window)