Motor Boat Registration - Tasmania


You will need to register your recreational vessel to use your vessel in a marine facility or to navigate your boat in any waters. Recreational vessels include personal water craft (PWC), such as jet skis.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


One year


31 December


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are listed on the attached document.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Fees and Forms (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Marine and Safety Authority Act 1997 Tasmania

Local law(s) name

Marine and Safety (Motor Boats and Licences) By-Laws 2013

Lodgement process


Your completed application can be lodged with the Agency or at Service Tasmania outlet.

Additional information

You will not need this registration if your boat either:

  • has an engine that is 2.9kW (4 horsepower) or less
  • is a motor-propelled tender
  • registered in another state.

Administering agency

Marine and Safety Tasmania

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Marine and Safety Tasmania

Operating address: Port Tower Building
Level 1
18 Hunter Street
Hobart, Tasmania 7000
Mailing address: GPO BOX 607
Hobart, Tasmania 7001
Phone: 1300 135 513
Phone: 03 6235 8888
Fax: 03 6233 5662
Website: Marine and Safety Tasmania (Opens in new window)