You will require this registration if you are the owner of a property and intend to personally manage any building works on Class 1a, 10a and 10b buildings / structures or Class 8 farm sheds. The different classes of buildings are as follows:
- Class 1a buildings are either single dwellings which is a detached house, or one or more attached dwellings which are separated by fire resistant walls.
- Class 10a buildings are non-habitable buildings or structures including, sheds, carports and private garages.
- Class 10b are structures including, fences, masts, antennas, retaining walls and pools.
An owner builder may carry out or supervise the following types of building work:
- new building work, including a new dwelling
- renovations or alterations
- extensions and additions
- removing or altering load bearing walls
- work that may involve a change of use of the premises (e.g. converting a shop into a residence, converting a garage into habitable space such as a bedroom, etc.)
- building garages, carports, and sheds
- constructing swimming pools and pool fences
- building a deck
- constructing certain other structures and or making improvements (e.g. building retaining walls or fences over a certain height)
- demolition work.
- Depending on the nature of your proposed activities, other approvals may also be required.
- Applications to be registered as an owner builder must be made to the Agency by a building surveyor, on behalf of the person intending to be registered as an owner builder.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.