Owner Builder Permit - Tasmania


You will require this registration if you are the owner of a property and intend to personally manage any building works on Class 1a, 10a and 10b buildings / structures or Class 8 farm sheds. The different classes of buildings are as follows:

  • Class 1a buildings are either single dwellings which is a detached house, or one or more attached dwellings which are separated by fire resistant walls.
  • Class 10a buildings are non-habitable buildings or structures including, sheds, carports and private garages.
  • Class 10b are structures including, fences, masts, antennas, retaining walls and pools.

An owner builder may carry out or supervise the following types of building work:

  • new building work, including a new dwelling
  • renovations or alterations
  • extensions and additions
  • removing or altering load bearing walls
  • work that may involve a change of use of the premises (e.g. converting a shop into a residence, converting a garage into habitable space such as a bedroom, etc.)
  • building garages, carports, and sheds
  • constructing swimming pools and pool fences
  • building a deck
  • constructing certain other structures and or making improvements (e.g. building retaining walls or fences over a certain height)
  • demolition work.

Please note:

  • Depending on the nature of your proposed activities, other approvals may also be required.
  • Applications to be registered as an owner builder must be made to the Agency by a building surveyor, on behalf of the person intending to be registered as an owner builder.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this registration you must be willing and able to comply with the following:

  • be a natural person (i.e. not a company)
  • be the owner or joint owner of the relevant property
  • be intending to carry out or manage building work in relation to that property
  • the intended building work must require a building permit
  • the type of building must be a Class 1a, 10a, 10b building / structure or a Class 8 farm shed
  • have the relevant insurance policy
  • completed an approved owner builder training course.

Due to the extensive and particular requirements involved in this application process, please consult with the Contact Officer for more information before making your application.


As directed by the Authority.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $388.80

Owner builder permit fee, if the permit involves work on a Class 1a or 1b building.

Apply Application All $194.40

Owner builder permit fee, if the permit does not involve work on a Class 1a or 1b building.

Act(s) name

Occupational Licensing Act 2005 Tasmania

Regulation(s) name

Occupational Licensing (Building Services Work) Regulations 2016 Tasmania

Administering agency

Department of Justice

Consumer, Building and Occupational Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Consumer, Building and Occupational Services

Department of Justice

Mailing address: PO BOX 56
Rosny Park, Tasmania 7018
Phone: 1300 654 499
Email: cbosinfo@justice.tas.gov.au
Website: Consumer, Building and Occupational Services (Opens in new window)