You will require this permit if you intend to drive or move livestock along a highway, council land or within a recreational facility. This includes moving livestock from one area to another. This permit is also required if you intend to use any part of a highway as a holding yard for livestock.
According to the Road Rules 2009:
- Livestock includes but is not limited to, horses, cattle, swine, sheep, goats and deer;
- The moving of livestock can only be undertaken during daylight hours (the period extending from 30 minutes after sunrise to 30 minutes before sunset);
- Livestock must not be unattended on a road;
- Livestock are not permitted on roads within the National Land Transport Network unless a permit has been issued by Tasmania Police;
- Stock cannot be led on a road at night except in the case of an emergency, or to lead the stock to or from a dairy; and
- A person leading livestock at night must provide warning to other road users by means of a flashing or rotating amber light.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.