Permit to Occupy a Road or Highway - Burnie City Council - Tasmania


You will require this permit if you intend to occupy a road or highway to either:

  • hold or conduct an event
  • place anything, such as a skip bin or sign, on a road or highway
  • install a vending machine or customer servery where consumers must stand on the highway
  • open or enclose a road or part of a road
  • occupy or fence off part of a road
  • erect a hoarding or overhead protective awning
  • place materials, vegetation or other objects on the road or highway.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you will require adequate public liability insurance from an approved insurance provider.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1993 Tasmania

Local law(s) name

Highways By-Law 3 2013

Lodgement process


The application form should be submitted more than ten working days before the intended occupation.

Administering agency

Burnie City Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.