Petroleum Access Authority - Tasmania


You may need this approval if you intend to explore for petroleum in Tasmanian coastal waters. Tasmanian coastal waters extend for three nautical miles from the coastline of Tasmania. If you intend to undertake exploration activities outside this area, you will need to apply for a licence under offshore minerals legislation.

If you hold a petroleum exploration permit, lease or licence, you may apply for approval to carry out petroleum explorations or recovery operations outside the area specified in your permit lease or licence. This approval is called an Access Authority.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this approval you must:

  • hold a permit, licence or lease for petroleum exploration operations
  • outline the operations you are proposing to carry out
  • provide any other relevant information.

The Agency will grant approval if it is satisfied that it is necessary or desirable for you to access the area in order to effectively exercise your rights. An access authority will not be granted in respect of a block that is subject to a permit, lease or licence.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the agency for more information.


Act(s) name

Petroleum (Submerged Lands) Act 1982 Tasmania

Administering agency

Department of State Growth

Mineral Resources Tasmania

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.