You require this registration if you intend to operate or be involved in the operation of a pharmacy business in Tasmania. Please note that generally only a registered pharmacist, a partnership of registered pharmacists or a pharmacists' body corporate can be involved in the operation of a pharmacy business.
A pharmacy is any business that involves:
- the compounding and dispensing of narcotic substances and restricted substances by a pharmacist on the prescription of a medical practitioner or other health professional
- the sale or supply of potent substances
- the sale or supply of medicinal poisons by a pharmacists or by an employee of a pharmacist.
To register your pharmacy business you must supply details of the premises where the business will be located and details of any individuals that will have a financial interest in the business. An individual is considered to have a financial interest in a pharmacy business if they are one of the following:
- a sole proprietor of a pharmacy business
- a partner in a pharmacy business
- a director, member and / or shareholder in a pharmacist company
- a trustee or beneficiary of, or unit holder in, a pharmacy business.
Please note that you cannot hold a financial interest in more than four pharmacy businesses at a time.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.