Registration to Supply or Use Water from a Private Water Source - Central Highlands Council - Tasmania


You will require this registration if you intend to use, supply or cart water obtained from a private water source. A private water source is one that is not under the management and control of a Regulated Entity and may include water sourced from a tank, bore, reservoir, river, or dam.

Councils are required to register private water suppliers to mitigate risks to the public from unsafe water.

Private water suppliers must comply with the Tasmanian Drinking Water Quality Guidelines 2015 (TDWQG). The guidelines classify private water suppliers into the following classes:

  • commercial purposes: bed and breakfast accommodation, hotels, motels, child care, recreational facilities within parks and reserves and caravan parks
  • places used for health: aged care facilities, health care centres and hospitals
  • places used for education: schools and universities
  • places used for imprisonment or detention.

If your premises falls into one of the above categories and you are using or supplying water from a private source you are required to register with your local council.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this registration your application must:

  • be in an approved form
  • be accompanied by any specified documents
  • be accompanied by the required fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


12 months.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Act(s) name

Public Health Act 1997 Tasmania

Administering agency

Central Highlands Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Development and Environmental Services

Central Highlands Council

Operating address: 19 Alexander Street
Bothwell, Tasmania 7030
Phone: 03 6259 5503
Fax: 03 6259 5722
Website: Central Highlands Council (Opens in new window)