You may need this licence if you intend to operate a restricted hire vehicle service. Restricted vehicles must be a currently registered small passenger vehicle (a vehicle with a capacity of 9 seats or less including the driver) and have Class 16 MAIB premium. There are two kinds of restricted hire vehicle (RHV) services:
- general RHV services, which are pre-booked general hire services that may only be provided by prescribed types of vehicles
- specific RHV services, which may be provided by any type of vehicle, but which are limited to prescribed occasions and events.
The following types of vehicles may be approved by the Transport Commission for use as a restricted hire vehicle:
- motor vehicles that are unique, classic or customised and more than 30 years old
- street-rods, modified for safe road use and either built prior to 1949, or in the replica of a vehicle built prior to 1949
- veteran or vintage motor vehicles
- motorcycles or tricycles
- small passenger vehicles in areas that the Commission determines are not serviced by taxis
- four wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles used for providing transport to or from or within a national park
- wheelchair-accessible vehicles that comply with the requirements of the Restricted Hire Vehicle Regulations.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.