You will need this licence if you intend to explore a specified area for minerals. This licence is designed to encourage exploration in and over poorly explored parts of Tasmania.
Exploration licences may be granted for one or more of the following mineral categories:
- metallic minerals and atomic substances
- coal, peat, lignite and oil shale
- construction minerals: stone, clay and sand
- petroleum products except oil shale
- industrial minerals, precious and semi-precious stones
- geothermal substances.
Licensees are not permitted to explore on private land without the consent of the owner and occupier of the land, within 100 metres of the surface of any natural lake, dam, reservoir, well, artificial pond, or any substantial dwelling or building. Suitable notice must be given to the landowner before entry.