Permit to Take Wildlife - Tasmania


You will require a permit if you intend to undertake activities with specially protected, protected or partially protected wildlife. These activities could be to:

  • Take specially protected, protected or partly protected wildlife;
  • Sell partly protected wildlife or products of partly protected wildlife;
  • Possess an egg of a partly protected wildlife;
  • Buy, sell or possess restricted wildlife;
  • Hold an organised shoot; or
  • Use partly protected wildlife as bait for a dog race or drag hunt.

Please note that these are only some examples of activities requiring a permit. If you intend to undertake activities that involve wildlife you should consult the Agency in the first instance to determine if you require a permit for your particular activity.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the permit.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Sole Trader, Partnership, Company, Trust, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other

Fees will vary depending on individual circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.


Task Resources
Apply Application for Permit to Take Wildlife - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.

Approval Time

Please allow four weeks for processing of applications.

Administering agency

Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment

Natural and Cultural Heritage

Wildlife Management Branch

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.


Operating address: 134 Macquarie Street
Tasmania 7000
Mailing address: GPO BOX 44
Hobart, Tasmania 7001
Phone: 03 6165 4305
Fax: 03 6233 3477