Acceptance of a Gas Appliance - Victoria


You will require acceptance of the Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) for any appliance or class of appliance before you manufacture, design or install gas appliances. ESV acceptance certification scheme ensures the safe design, installation and sale of Type A and Type B gas appliances in Victoria.

  • Type A is any appliance (including a second-hand appliance) for which an acceptance scheme has been authorised. Domestic and light commercial type appliances, such as cookers, space heaters, central heaters, water heaters, catering equipment and leisure appliances, are Type A appliances.
  • Type B appliance is any other appliance (including a second-hand appliance) with a gas consumption in excess of 10MJ/h, including any components and fittings downstream of and including the appliance manual shut-off valve. They are intended for use in manufacturing or industrial premises.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible, you must:

  • apply using the prescribed form
  • provide all relevant and required information about the design and manufacture of appliance
  • have the required insurance and safety management systems in place
  • pay any required fees.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

It is an ongoing requirement of this licence that every accepted gas appliance be subject to ongoing testing, and is required to have a data plate affixed to it, showing essential details (type of gas, energy consumption, etc). That data plate should show the Certificate Number.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.

Application process


You must lodge your application for appliances typically used in residential and light commercial settings with the Australian Gas Association. For other appliances, such as those for use in industrial or manufacturing premises, your application must be lodged with Energy Safe Victoria.

Administering agency

Energy Safe Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.