You will require this accreditation if you intend to undertake any of the following railway operations:
- construction of a railway, railway tracks, or associated railway infrastructure
- management, commissioning, maintenance, repair, modification, installation, operation or decommissioning of rail infrastructure
- operations involving rolling stock (vehicles that operate on a railway, such as trains, trams and carriages)
- restoration or repair work
- testing of railway tracks or other infrastructure
- any other activities relating to railway operations covered by the National Law
This does not apply to certain railway operations which are not covered by the National Law, such as underground mining railways, and certain not for profit railways operated exclusively on private property. These types of railway operations must be accredited under state law.
Penalties apply to persons or organisations who undertake rail operations without accreditation or without being exempt from accreditation.