An ACUP is required to use agricultural chemical products that are Schedule 7 Poisons (Dangerous Poisons) or contain any of the following chemicals:
- atrazine, metham sodium or ester formulations of MCPA, 2,4-D, 2,4-DB or triclopyr
- 1080 (sodium fluoroacetate) or PAPP (4-aminopropiophenone)
- pindone concentrate (2.5% or greater) for the preparation of baits
- gaseous methyl bromide
- phosphine formulated as liquefied gas
- timber treatment copper chromium arsenic (CCA).
An ACUP is also required for use in the post-harvest treatment of crops, and to purchase agricultural chemical products classified as restricted supply chemicals by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA), including 1080 pest animal bait products, endosulfan and mevinphos.