Register for WorkCover Insurance - Victoria


You will need this registration if you or your company employ workers in Victoria. You will need to register for WorkCover insurance if you pay more than $7500 in wages per financial year, or you employ apprentices or trainees. Your registration form must be received within 60 days of the date you first meet these requirements.

The purpose of this compulsory insurance arrangement is to provide your business with insurance coverage for the cost of workers compensation entitlements if any of your workers are injured or become ill because of their work. Entitlements may include replacement of lost income, medical and rehabilitation treatment costs, legal costs or, in the event of a serious injury, lump sum compensation.

Sole-traders or partners to a partnership are not considered to be employees for insurance purposes. However, directors and executive officers of a company who are paid wages are considered to be employees.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


You will not need to register if:

  • you or your company has no apprentices, and is not liable to pay more than $7500 per financial year in remuneration
  • you're a sole trader, an individual in a partnership or an individual trustee of a trust and you don't employ any other people as workers
  • you're a company and you do all the contract work for your company's one and only business client.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this registration, you must:

  • fall into the category of employer that is required by law to provide WorkCover insurance
  • pay any required fees
  • provide a complete and accurate application form, and any associated documents.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

It is an ongoing requirement that you:

  • pay an insurance premium
  • notify the Agency of any change of circumstances, including a change of address or change in activities carried on at your workplace
  • keep a Register of Injuries in which employees can record any workplace incidents or injuries
  • provide any employee who notifies you of a workplace injury with a written acknowledgement that you have been notified of the injury
  • complete an Employer Claim Report stating whether you accept liability for the claim
  • notify WorkSafe Victoria of all claims, no matter how small
  • receive any claim for compensation from an employee
  • pay your injured employee if the claim liability is accepted.




Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Act(s) name

Workplace Injury Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2013 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Workplace Injury Rehabilitation and Compensation Regulations 2014 Victoria

Application process


Your application must be received within 60 calendar days of the date you are required by law to hold a WorkCover Insurance Policy. You will need to lodge your application with the WorkSafe agent of your choice (which are detailed on the application form), and attach any relevant documentation.


Your application must be received within 14 days of becoming the occupier of a workplace which is not included under your WorkCover Insurance Policy.

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance

WorkSafe Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.