The application process has two stages. You must first apply for a determination of eligibility to apply for approval. The agency will only make a determination if:
- you have paid the prescribed fee
- your organisation is capable of meeting its claims liabilities when they fall due
- your organisation is not a subsidiary of another body corporate (other than a foreign company that is not registered in Australia under the Corporations Act).
The determination remains in force for twelve months, or until the agency has decided whether to approve your organisation as a self-insurer.
To determine whether it is appropriate to grant approval, the agency will consider a range of matters including:
- whether your organisation is able to meet its liabilities when they fall due
- whether your organisation has sufficient resources, including employees, to administer claims for compensation
- the incidence of injuries to workers arising out of employment with your organisation and the cost of claims for those injuries
- the safety of working conditions for workers employed by your organisation
- your organisation's record of compliance with workplace insurance requirements.
You must also provide any supporting information required by the agency and pay the relevant application fee.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.