You will need this approval if you intend to engage in activities that would otherwise be prohibited. This includes:
- manufacturing, selling or purchasing prohibited weapons and body armour
- the display or advertisement for sale of prohibited weapons and body armour
- the possession, use, carriage or importation of prohibited weapons and body armour.
This approval may be granted to individuals, partnerships or to a body corporate. It covers items such as:
- Dangerous articles - any item which is adapted or modified and can potentially be used as a weapon or carried with the intention of being used as a weapon.
- Body armour - a garment or item that is designed or adapted for the purpose of protecting the body from the effects of a weapon, including a firearm.
- Prohibited weapons - weapons considered inappropriate for general possession.
- Controlled weapons - weapons that can be used for legitimate purposes by persons over 18 years old, but may pose a possible danger to the community.
- Imitation firearms - devices that have the appearance of a firearm and could be reasonably be mistaken for a real firearm.