You will need this licence if you intend to test radiation sources to issue certificates of compliance. Radiation sources include radioactive materials (including sealed sources), ionising and non-ionising radiation apparatus, and sealed source apparatus.
Approved testers have the necessary qualifications and experience to assess whether a radiation source complies with the relevant radiation safety standards. Testers are approved to cover general source types of:
- general radiographic equipment
- fluoroscopic equipment
- mammographic equipment
- computed tomographic equipment.
Radiation equipment to be tested includes:
- diagnostic x-ray machines
- baggage x-ray machines
- CT and MRI scanners
- surgical lasers
- induction heaters in manufacturing industries
- borehole logging apparatus
- portable nuclear moisture/density gauges
- industrial microwaves used for drying timber.
A tester licence will contain a schedule and conditions defining the types of radiation sources that are permitted to be tested and standards describing the safety and security of testing procedures.