You will need this licence if you intend to test radiation sources to issue certificates of compliance. Radiation sources include radioactive materials (including sealed sources), ionising and non-ionising radiation apparatus, and sealed source apparatus.
Approved testers have the necessary qualifications and experience to assess whether a radiation source complies with the relevant radiation safety standards. Testers are approved to cover general source types of:
- general radiographic equipment
- fluoroscopic equipment
- mammographic equipment
- computed tomographic equipment.
Radiation equipment to be tested includes:
- diagnostic x-ray machines
- baggage x-ray machines
- CT and MRI scanners
- surgical lasers
- induction heaters in manufacturing industries
- borehole logging apparatus
- portable nuclear moisture/density gauges
- industrial microwaves used for drying timber.
A tester licence will contain a schedule and conditions defining the types of radiation sources that are permitted to be tested and standards describing the safety and security of testing procedures.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.