Australian New Zealand Standard AS / NZS 3000:2007 Electrical Installations (Known as the Australian / New Zealand Wiring Rules) - Victoria


You will be required to comply with this standard if you intend to construct a rooming house. A rooming house is a building where one or more rooms are available for rent to four or more persons.

All power outlets and lighting circuits in the rooming house must be connected to a switchboard circuit breaker that complies with this standard.

It provides uniform essential elements that constitute the minimum regulatory requirements for a safe electrical installation, as well as installation practices that achieve certainty of compliance with the essential safety requirements.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required by your business.

Service type

Code of Practice

A code of practice is a set of rules which details how people in a certain industry should behave. A code of practice can be defined as a result of legislation or by industry regulators and bodies.

Act(s) name

Residential Tenancies Act 1997 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Residential Tenancies (Rooming House Standards) Regulations 2012 Victoria

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Community Safety

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Department of Justice and Community Safety

Operating address: 121 Exhibition Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Mailing address: GPO BOX 123
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Phone: 1300 558 181
Phone: 03 8684 0735
Website: Consumer Affairs Victoria (Opens in new window)