Australian Standard AS 1687-1991 Knapsack Spray Pumps for Fire Fighting - Victoria


You may need to comply with this standard to use certain equipment in a fire protected area during a prohibited period or for beekeeping purposes.

Examples of equipment include:

  • welders
  • grinders
  • chainsaws
  • motor driven pumps.

Fire protected area means any land within a State forest, national park or other protected public land (or within 1.5km of a protected forest or national park).

Ordinarily it is illegal to use a chainsaw, motor vehicle or other stationary non-stationary engine in the open air or in contact with vegetation. Special approval of the Agency is required for a fire within a smoker used for a bee farming operation.

Neither of these restrictions apply if certain conditions are met, including that you have at least one knapsack spray pump with a tank capacity of at least 9 litres that complies with this standard. In the case of bee-farming this applies where the weather conditions are such that there is a danger of the spread of fire.

The standard sets out requirements for portable hand-operated knapsack spray pumps of the water-container type for firefighting, and specifies materials and construction details, and includes performance test requirements.

Service type

Code of Practice

A code of practice is a set of rules which details how people in a certain industry should behave. A code of practice can be defined as a result of legislation or by industry regulators and bodies.

Other resources

Act(s) name

Forests Act 1958 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Forests (Fire Protection) Regulations 2014 Victoria

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action

Parks Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.