You will require this authorisation if you intend to use aerial advertising for any purpose at a major event, or within sight of the venue where the specified event is being conducted. This authorisation covers aerial advertising during specified times for major events of state or national significance, which are specified in current legislation. Events include but are not limited to:
- The Boxing Day cricket test, One day or Twenty20 cricket match at the MCG
- ANZAC Day AFL match, The AFL Grand Final
- The Australian Open Tennis Championships
- The Australian Formula One Grand Prix and the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix
- Caulfield Cup Day, Cox Plate Day and the Melbourne Cup Carnival.
This authorisation is designed to stop ambush marketing of major events by competitors of the event's sponsors. Advertising includes selling or giving away any goods or services, and covers any form of communication made to the public or a section of the public in relation to any goods or services, brand of goods or person who provides certain goods or services.
Aerial advertising means:
- skywriting or sign writing by any aircraft (includes airplanes, airships, blimps, hot-air balloons, helicopters or ultra-light aircraft)
- a banner, sign or other matter towed by, attached, displayed or in use by an aircraft
- any similar forms used in a similar way involving a hang glider, parachute, paraglider, or other airborne device
- any laser or digital projection of advertising.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.