Camping Permit - Bass Coast Shire Council - Victoria


You will need this permit if you intend to camp, keep or use a caravan on any land that is not designated as a camping ground or caravan park. This permit may be required for camping on public or private land.

Camping includes occupying or sleeping in a tent, vehicle, mobile home, caravan, or any other temporary or makeshift structure. This includes camping as part of an event.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit, you may need to provide a certificate of currency for public liability insurance with a minimum of $10 million cover.

If you are not the land owner, you may need to provide written permission to camp from the land owner:

If your camping site is in a bushfire area or flood overlay, you may need to provide an emergency management plan.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

General conditions that apply to all applications include:

  • payment of entire fee must be made prior to commencement date of the permit
  • campsites are to be maintained in a clean and tidy condition at all times
  • all rubbish is to be removed when vacating campsite
  • approved toilet and washing facilities are to be provided
  • camping is not within 10 meters of any river, stream, spring, creek, dam, bore or water course
  • there are no approved waste dump points in Bass Coast Shire, please advise of the method of disposal on your application
  • no campfires are permitted at any time
  • damage to any council property (ie footpaths, nature strips etc) is to be reinstated by permit holder at the permit holders expense


As specified on the permit.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $269.00

Fees for 2023-24


Act(s) name

Local Government Act 2020 Victoria

Lodgement process


Please submit your application and any associated documentation directly with the Council.

Approval time

Check with the administering agency

Additional information

A copy of your Public Liability insurance, with minimum cover of $10,000,000 must be included with the application.
If you intend to camp on your vacant block then a permit is required and certain conditions apply. Subject to conditions, a permit may last for up to one year.
If you intend to camp while building, a building permit will be required and a private building surveyor should be contacted to discuss this option (please note, no more than 3 months will be approved for the camping permit).

Administering agency

Bass Coast Shire Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.