A congestion levy is charged each calendar year to off-street private and public car parking spaces in two specified areas.
You will need to register if you:
- own a property, including an office space or building that has off-street parking within the levy area
- operate a car park within the levy area
- lease Crown land that has off-street parking in the levy area.
There are two levy areas attracting different levy amounts:
- Category 1 levy area encompasses the Melbourne CBD and certain inner city suburbs including parts of the cities of Melbourne, Port Phillip and Yarra.
- Category 2 levy area consists of certain parts of the cities of Darebin, Melbourne, Moreland, Port Phillip and Yarra.
You must apply for registration within one month of becoming the owner of a parking space or private car park in the category 1 levy area. Owners of car parks or public car parks in the category 2 levy area must apply for registration by 21 January each year.