You will need approval if you are a casino operator and intend to offer or conduct a betting competition (either with fixed odds or conducted on a totalisator). The approval may be given for a betting competition for either:
- a horse race, harness race, or greyhound race
- any other race, fight, game, sport or exercise, or any other event or contingency of any kind.
A casino operator cannot seek approval for a betting competition:
- if the holder of the wagering licence or the wagering operator is proposing to conduct wagering on that race
- if, in the opinion of the Minister, the event is offensive or contrary to the public interest
- that is played on a gaming machine
- that is a club keno game.
Crown Melbourne Limited currently holds the only casino licence which will not expire until 2033.