You will require this certificate if you intend to be an owner builder and carry out domestic building works costing more than $16,000. An owner-builder is defined as a person who constructs or renovates a domestic building or other structure on his or her own land, who is not in the business of building.
Owner builders take on many of the responsibilities of a builder. These may include:
- obtaining all required permits
- supervising building work and / or carrying out the work themselves
- ensuring the work meets relevant building regulations, standards and other laws
- arranging for building inspections
- obtaining an occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection from the relevant building surveyor on completion of work.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.