You will require this certificate if you intend to be an owner builder and carry out domestic building works costing more than $16,000. An owner-builder is defined as a person who constructs or renovates a domestic building or other structure on his or her own land, who is not in the business of building.
Owner builders take on many of the responsibilities of a builder. These may include:
- obtaining all required permits
- supervising building work and / or carrying out the work themselves
- ensuring the work meets relevant building regulations, standards and other laws
- arranging for building inspections
- obtaining an occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection from the relevant building surveyor on completion of work.