Certificate of Consent for Owner Builders - Victoria


You will require this certificate if you intend to be an owner builder and carry out domestic building works costing more than $16,000. An owner-builder is defined as a person who constructs or renovates a domestic building or other structure on his or her own land, who is not in the business of building.

Owner builders take on many of the responsibilities of a builder. These may include:

  • obtaining all required permits
  • supervising building work and / or carrying out the work themselves
  • ensuring the work meets relevant building regulations, standards and other laws
  • arranging for building inspections
  • obtaining an occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection from the relevant building surveyor on completion of work.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this certificate, you must:

  • ensure the building work you are carrying out relates to a single dwelling
  • intend live in the completed dwelling
  • do not run a building business.


Ongoing eligibility requirements

If you sell your owner-built home within six and a half years after the domestic building work has been completed, you must:

  • ensure that the contract of sale sets out the compulsory statutory warranties that you are required to give the home buyer
  • obtain a defects report on the domestic building work prepared by a prescribed building practitioner. The report must not be older than six months
  • obtain owner-builder domestic building insurance covering the domestic building work (if within six years of completion).


Five years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $105.50

Fees for 2022-23

Apply Duplicate Certificate All $41.30

Fees for 2022-23


Act(s) name

Building Act 1993 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Building Regulations 2018 Victoria

Additional information

You may undertake all areas of building work yourself that do not require licensed tradespeople (such as, electricians and plumbers).

You will be required to get the relevant certificates from tradespeople (such as, domestic building insurance, electrical and plumbing certificates).

Administering agency

Victorian Building Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.