You can use this compliance code as a practical guide for how to meet your occupational health and safety duties and obligations in relation to working with lead or lead products.This applies to workplaces where lead processes are undertaken. Lead processes are activities that generate lead dust, mist or fumes. This code provides practical measures for the elimination or reduction of exposure to lead.
This compliance code is particularly relevant if you are an employer or self-employed person who works with lead. It is also relevant for employees and health and safety representatives who work with lead.
The code includes information on:
- what lead is and how it gets into the body
- the health risks of working with lead
- how levels of lead in the body are measured
- what a lead process is
- what lead-risk work is
- duties for employers and employees
- how to control the risk of exposure to lead
- when health monitoring is required and what it involves.
Compliance with this code is not mandatory. If you have not complied with the code, it will be up to you to show that you have met the relevant legal requirements by an alternative method.