You can use this compliance code as a practical guide for how to meet your occupational health and safety duties or obligations in relation to confined spaces.
This information is particularly relevant for you if you are a designer, manufacturer or supplier of plant that includes a confined space, or if you are an employer whose work involves confined spaces. It uses examples and tools you can apply to your own situation.
It includes information on:
- what a confined space is
- who has duties associated with confined spaces
- what the duties are for designers, manufacturers and suppliers
- what the duties are for employers
- how employers can identify hazards and assess risks
- practical measures employers can use to control risks.
It is recommended that you follow this compliance code, however, it is not mandatory. You may choose to use an alternative way to achieve compliance with your legal requirements.