General Licence - Victoria


You will need this licence if you operate a business and you intend to provide alcohol to your customers. This applies to pubs, hotels and holiday resorts, as well as other businesses that supply alcohol to customers.

A general licence authorises you to:

  • supply liquor to customers on your premises during ordinary trading hours for consumption on and off the premises
  • supply liquor at any time to a resident, or guest of a resident, of the licensed premises
  • supply liquor to guests.

The following types of businesses are exempt from holding this licence, providing that certain conditions are complied with:

  • bed and breakfast businesses
  • florists
  • giftmakers
  • hairdressers
  • butchers
  • hospitals
  • residential care services
  • retirement villages
  • cruise ships.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old, If you are applying as an individual
  • not be disqualified from holding a licence or BYO permit under the Act
  • consent to a national police check
  • complete the relevant forms
  • provide any additional information required by the agency.

Please note that the agency may refuse to grant a licence if:

  • it would detract from the amenity of the area in which your premises are located
  • it would encourage the misuse or abuse of alcohol
  • you, or the directors of your organisation do not have sufficient knowledge of liquor licensing law
  • you, or your organisation, are not suitable to hold a licence.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

Ongoing requirements include:

  • compliance with all relevant provisions of the applicable planning scheme
  • if the licence is held by a corporation or other organisation, all directors of the organisation must be approved by the Agency
  • the supply of alcohol for consumption off the licensed premises must not be the whole of your ordinary business of supplying alcohol.

Venues that host sexually explicit entertainment are subject to additional requirements. You must notify the Agency in writing within 21 days of starting to provide sexually explicit entertainment on your premises.


12 months or from the date granted until the end of that calendar year


31 December each year


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are in the attached resource.

Act(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 Victoria

Lodgement process


Please submit your completed application together with all specified accompanying documentation referred to in the application kit directly with the Agency. Once an application is received, and relevant checks and inquiries completed, a decision will be made by the Director of Liquor Licensing to either grant or refuse the application.

In most cases the Director will impose conditions upon the licence. The time taken to process an application will vary according to individual circumstances.

Additional information

Liquor must not be supplied on ANZAC day between 5 AM and 12 noon.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Community Safety

Liquor Control Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.