If you are going to start a home based business, you will need to ensure your business does not negatively affect the neighbourhood. Depending on how you operate your home business, you may or may not require a planning permit.
A home based business must:
- be your place of residence
- have no more than two people living and working in the home based business
- meet the net floor area requirement
- have utility (power, water, gas) requirements
- negatively impact the neighbourhood
- not modify or service motor vehicles
- have only one commercial vehicle
- only sell goods manufactured or serviced in the home based business
- not display or advertise your home based business on-site
- not have goods offered online collected on-site.
If you require any of the following, you will need to apply for a planning permit:
- have no more than three people living and working in the home based business
- require a larger floor net area
- have more than one commercial vehicle.
Please consult your local council for more information on home based business planning scheme requirements.