If you are going to operate a home based business, you will need to comply with some guidelines set by council. In some situations, you may need a council planning permit.
A home based business must:
- be your place of residence
- have no more than two people working in the business who do not live in the home
- operate within area restrictions outlined by council
- not use more power, water and/or gas than normally needed for domestic use
- not negatively impact the neighbourhood
- not modify or service motor vehicles
- have only one commercial vehicle
- only sell goods manufactured or serviced in the home based business
- store materials used or goods manufactured, serviced or repaired in the home based business within a building
- not display goods manufactured, serviced or repaired on location
- not have goods sold online collected from the home.
You may need a planning permit from council if you operate a home based business and you:
- intend to have three people who do not live in your home working in the business at the same time
- require a larger floor area than that set by your local council
- have more than one commercial vehicle.