You will require this permit if you intend to obtain or purchase poisons or controlled substances for industrial, educational, advisory or research purposes. Permits may be issued for Schedule 8 or 9 poisons, or any Schedule 8 or 9 poison plus any Schedule 2, 3, 4 or 7 poison.
Descriptions of different poisons and controlled substances can be found below:
- Schedule 2 substances: for therapeutic use, including certain pain relief medications, cough mixtures and travel sickness preparations, which may require advice from a pharmacist for safe use. These substances can only be sold from a pharmacy, or where a pharmacy service is unavailable, an appropriately licensed person.
- Schedule 3 substances: for therapeutic use, which requires professional advice for safe use.
- Schedule 4 substances: restricted to medical, dental or veterinary prescription or supply, together with substances or preparations intended for therapeutic use still under evaluation.
- Schedule 7 substances: have a high potential for causing harm to humans and includes strychnine, cyanide and hazardous agricultural and veterinary chemicals.
- Schedule 8 substances: drugs that have legitimate therapeutic uses, but also have addictive or abuse potential and hence require special controls.
- Schedule 9 substances: have no therapeutic use, but are subject to abuse and are only available for research purposes.