You will require this permit if you intend to obtain or purchase poisons or controlled substances for industrial, educational, advisory or research purposes. Permits may be issued for Schedule 8 or 9 poisons, or any Schedule 8 or 9 poison plus any Schedule 2, 3, 4 or 7 poison.
Descriptions of different poisons and controlled substances can be found below:
- Schedule 2 substances: for therapeutic use, including certain pain relief medications, cough mixtures and travel sickness preparations, which may require advice from a pharmacist for safe use. These substances can only be sold from a pharmacy, or where a pharmacy service is unavailable, an appropriately licensed person.
- Schedule 3 substances: for therapeutic use, which requires professional advice for safe use.
- Schedule 4 substances: restricted to medical, dental or veterinary prescription or supply, together with substances or preparations intended for therapeutic use still under evaluation.
- Schedule 7 substances: have a high potential for causing harm to humans and includes strychnine, cyanide and hazardous agricultural and veterinary chemicals.
- Schedule 8 substances: drugs that have legitimate therapeutic uses, but also have addictive or abuse potential and hence require special controls.
- Schedule 9 substances: have no therapeutic use, but are subject to abuse and are only available for research purposes.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.