You will need to pay land transfer duty if you buy property in Victoria. The amount payable depends on:
- the value and purpose of the property
- whether you are a foreign purchaser
- whether any exemptions or concessions apply.
Land transfer duty is based on the greater value of either of the following at the point of entering the contract for sale:
- the market value of the property
- the price paid (including GST).
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.