Licence for a Vehicle to Transport Dangerous Goods - Victoria


You will require this licence if you intend to own a road vehicle (such as a truck or van) that is used to transport dangerous goods.

A vehicle must be licensed to transport dangerous goods if it carries either:

  • more than 500 kilograms of dangerous goods in a receptacle (container)
  • dangerous goods in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres.

Each vehicle needs to be licensed according to the class of dangerous goods carried. A vehicle licence is required for the transport of dangerous goods, such as in a tank vehicle, in demountable tanks, in intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) including pallet boxes or bulk bags, or for solid dangerous goods, in bins or hoppers on the vehicles.

Please note that a vehicle licence is not required for the transport of dangerous goods in IBCs if the IBCs are not filled or emptied while on the vehicle and the total capacity of IBCs containing dangerous goods on the vehicle is not more than 3000 litres.

The driver of the vehicle is required to hold a dangerous goods drivers licence.

Please note that if you intend to manufacture or design a bulk tank to be used for the transportation of dangerous goods, your design will need to be approved by the Agency.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

In order to be eligible for this licence you must:

  • ensure your vehicle is registered
  • ensure any tank forming part of your vehicle has a tank design approval number
  • ensure your vehicle is suitable to transport each relevant type of dangerous good
  • ensure your vehicle complies with the Australian Dangerous Goods Code
  • submit a properly completed application
  • pay the prescribed fees.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Up to 5 years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Licence All

Fees will vary depending on your activity. Please consult the responsible Agency for more information.

Other resources

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance

WorkSafe Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Licensing Branch

WorkSafe Victoria

Department of Treasury and Finance

Operating address: 222 Exhibition Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Mailing address: PO BOX 4293
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Phone: 03 9641 1555
Other: 1800 136 089
Website: (Opens in new window)