Licence or Lease for Agricultural Purposes - Victoria


You will need this approval to use land under a licence or leasing arrangement for agricultural purposes. Leasing must be consistent with the public purpose designation over the land and be in the public interest.

A licence or lease may be granted over:

  • unreserved Crown land
  • reserved Crown land that is not vested in trustees or a municipal council and does not have a management committee
  • unused roads
  • water frontages.

The licensing or leasing of Crown land must also preserve the environmental, historic, recreation, tourism, natural resource, social and culturally significant values of the land.

Generally there are strict conditions placed on the applicant, such as provisions for public access. These conditions are usually outlined within the licence or lease agreement.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • Apply using the prescribed form
  • Provide any documentation or information as required by the Authority
  • Pay the prescribed fee.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

Ongoing conditions may apply including lease renewal requirements.


The term of a lease must not exceed thirty-five years. A licence for water frontage land must not exceed thirty-five years, but a licence for any other land must not exceed ninety-nine years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Licence All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Other resources

Act(s) name

Land Act 1958 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Land Regulations 2016 Victoria

Administering agency

Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action

Forests and Reserves

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.