Licence or Lease for Non-Agricultural Purposes - Victoria


You may require a licence or lease if you intend to use or access unreserved crown land to conduct non-agricultural activities.

Your activities will need to comply with relevant local planning schemes, and you may be required to obtain planning approval. The agency will not grant a lease or licence until you have obtained planning approval (if required).

Examples of commercial or industrial purposes include:

  • constructing electric lines
  • gravel extraction
  • water storage
  • use of machinery or power tools
  • taking stone, sand or gravel.

Unreserved crown land may periodically be made available to lease by auction or public tender.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a licence or lease you must:

  • Apply using the prescribed form;
  • Provide any information or documentation required by the agency;
  • Submit to all planning and application processes; and
  • Pay the prescribed fee.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You may be required to pay rent.


The duration of a licence or lease will depend on the activity to be conducted.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

A range of application and processing fees may apply. Ongoing rates and rental costs will vary depending on the purpose of the licence or lease. If the land is to be used for a commercial purpose the rent will be based on market rates determined by a valuation having regard to comparable commercial rental in the private sector. Rent is reviewed and adjusted to market rates every three years.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Application for a Licence or Lease for Non-Agricultural Purposes - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Act(s) name

Land Act 1958 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Land Regulations 2016 Victoria

Lodgement process


Please lodge your application and all accompanying documentation directly with the Agency.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Land Management Policy Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Information Officer

Land Management Policy Division

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Operating address: 8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address: GPO BOX 500
Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Phone: 03 9637 9680