Licence or Permit for Activities in State Forests - Victoria


You will require this approval if you intend to undertake commercial activities in a state forest (other than harvesting of timber and forest produce).

A licence or permit may be granted to set aside up to 1.25 hectares of land within a forest reserve to:

  • store / sell goods and liquid fuels
  • erect and operate ski lifts
  • provide accommodation or any other facility or service.

Approval is also required for the following commercial activities:

  • commercial filming or photography
  • distributing or posting advertising
  • conducting an organised entertainment, sporting or recreational function
  • holding a public meeting or similar event for profit
  • conducting a rally, festival, tour or fete for a profit.

Please consult the Agency in the first instance for information on information specific to the activity you intend to undertake.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this approval you must:

  • complete the prescribed application form
  • provide a full and detailed submission of your intended activities
  • be considered fit to hold the approval
  • be willing to abide by the planning and approval process
  • pay any required fees.

Please contact the Agency for more information as each application will have different guidelines for eligibility. The Agency will expect you to give them an undertaking that you will agree to abide by any conditions and limits they place on the permitted activities.


For the extent of the event or activity. No more than 20 years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

No fee for an application for an event is required unless the event is run as a commercial event, or is considered to be an activity that would normally attract a fee if held elsewhere, such as a wedding venue.

Other activities will be assessed on their merits.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Application for Licence or Permit for Activities in State Forests - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Act(s) name

Forests Act 1958 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Forests (Licences and Permits) Regulations 2009 Victoria

Forests (Recreation) Regulations 2010 Victoria

Lodgement process


Please submit your completed application and all accompanying documentation including activity details directly to the Agency for processing.

Approval time

Please allow at least 4 weeks for your permit application to be processed.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Forests and Reservces

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Forests and Reservces

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

Operating address: 8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria, 3002
Mailing address: PO BOX 500
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Phone: 13 61 86
Website: Forests and Reserves (Opens in new window)