Licence to Construct or Take Water from a Bore or Well - Victoria


You may need this licence to obtain water from your rural property through the use of a bore or well.

You may construct or use a bore for two different purposes:

  • domestic and stock use (which includes water for household purposes, watering of animals kept as pets, watering of cattle or other stock, watering around the house for fire prevention and watering a kitchen garden)
  • commercial activities (which includes irrigation, mining, aquaculture, feedlots, piggeries, poultry farms, golf/sporting areas, guest accommodation, water bottling, snow making).

You must obtain this licence to construct a bore or well for domestic and stock use. In many areas of Victoria, water licences for commercial activities are fully capped. In these areas, you can only obtain a licence by buying an existing licence or applying for a licence to Take and Use Water once the bore has been completed.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Water (Drillers' Licences) Regulations 2012 Victoria

Additional information

In addition to bores constructed for Domestic and Stock and Commercial use, you may need a licence to construct an investigation or observation bore.

An investigation bore is constructed for the purpose of investigating the potential to access underground water resources at a specified location. Groundwater from an investigation bore may not be taken or used for any purpose apart from water quality testing.

An observation bore is constructed for the purpose of monitoring groundwater levels at a particular site. Bores may only be constructed to a maximum diameter of 130mm unless specifically approved by the Agency. Water may only be extracted from these bores for the purpose:

  • measurement of offsite impacts
  • as part of a state or authority measurement network
  • observation of environmental issues
  • undertaking hydro geological assessments if directed as part of an application for a licence to take and use water.


Administering agency

Victorian Water Corporations

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.