You will need this licence if you drive a truck, van or other road vehicle and intend to transport explosives. This licence applies only to the driver of the vehicle, and relates to the operating standards, experience, and expectations of road vehicle drivers.
Explosives covered by this licence consist of any self-contained portable items of equipment of a reasonable size and volume designed to produce electric current for firing charges, and may include, but are not limited to, high explosives, detonating cords, safety fuses, detonators, propellants, boosters, and certain fireworks.
A licence is not required to transport small quantities of explosives or fireworks (an amount below the prescribed maximum quantity) if you either:
- hold a licence to sell explosives
- hold a licence to use blasting explosives
- hold a licence to use fireworks
- are transporting hazard or distress signals
- are transporting consumer fireworks for your own use
- will be transporting the explosives over private property only, and not by road.
Every vehicle used in the transport of explosives is also required to be licensed.