Licence to Operate a Dam for Irrigation or Commercial Purposes - Victoria


You will require this licence if you intend to operate dams for irrigation or commercial purposes.

You will need this licence if you intend to operate a dam on a waterway which will be used to take, use, convey or store water. If you intend to operate a dam off a waterway, you will only need this licence if the dam is a potentially hazardous dam. A potentially hazardous dam is:

  • 5 metres or higher and 50 megalitres capacity or larger
  • 10 metres or higher and 20 megalitres capacity or larger
  • 15 metres or higher, regardless of capacity
  • a dam belonging to a prescribed class of dams.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Additional information

This licence may be required along with a licence to take and use water or a licence to construct works. These may involve bore or dam construction and/or the use of pumping equipment.

Administering agency

Victorian Water Industry Association (VicWater)

Rural Water Corporations