Licence to Operate a Houseboat on Lake Eildon - Victoria


You will require this licence if you intend to operate a houseboat or cruiser that provides sleeping accommodation and toilets for passengers in the recreational area of Lake Eildon. Lake Eildon is the only reservoir in Victoria where houseboats and cabin cruisers with sleeping accommodation are permitted.

To prevent the risk of water pollution, strict rules regarding sanitation must be observed. It is recommended that you consult the Contact Officer prior to constructing, purchasing or transferring a houseboat or cruiser for use in this area.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Twelve months


The licence expires on 30 June each year


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees range between $440 and $3250, please consult the responsible agency for information on the correct fees to be submitted with your application. Fees for 2021-22

Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Water (Lake Eildon Recreational Area) (Houseboats) Regulations 2013 Victoria

Lodgement process


Please lodge your application directly with the Agency.

Administering agency

Goulburn-Murray Water

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Goulburn-Murray Water

Mailing address: PO BOX 165
Tatura, Victoria 3616
Toll Free: 1800 013 357
Phone: 03 5826 3500
Fax: 03 5826 3334
Website: Goulburn-Murray Water (Opens in new window)

Supporting information