Licence to Perform High Risk Work - Victoria


You will require this licence if you intend to perform high risk work. There are many types of work that are classed as high risk. Most involve using equipment or plant which has a risk of causing serious injury. Classes of high risk work include:

  • scaffolding, dogging or rigging work
  • operation of cranes
  • operation of a fork-lift truck
  • operation of boilers and other pressure equipment
  • use of hoists
  • operation of concrete placing booms or boom-type elevating work platforms.

A high risk work licence will be required by many workers in industries such as construction, mining, primary production and forestry.

Mutual recognition of your licence may be available, enabling you to work in other States and Territories.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

New applicants need to contact an authorised licence assessor and complete a practical test (a list is available directly from the Agency). You will need to demonstrate the required standards for competency and safe operation of the plant or equipment. If you pass the test, you will then need to fill in an application form, attaching proof of your completed assessment.

To be eligible for a licence you must also:

  • provide proof of identification
  • be at least eighteen years old
  • reside in Victoria or have good reasons for applying for a licence in Victoria
  • show that all required training has been completed
  • show that all competency assessments have been completed that are required for the class of work during your assessment
  • pay any prescribed fees.

If you hold a licence in another State or Territory, and intend to conduct the work in Victoria your licensing status will be recognised under the mutual recognition system.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


You will need to renew your licence every five years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $67.60

Fees for 2021-22

Renew Renewal All $51.10

Fees for 2021-22


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Application for Licence to Perform High Risk Work - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Act(s) name

Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017 Victoria

Application process


After being assessed you are required to submit your application at a participating Australia Post outlet. You will need to attach:

  • The original green copy of the Notice of Assessment;
  • A passport size photo - additional to the one given to the Assessor;
  • Your original proof of identity documents - 100 points;
  • Your existing Certificate(s) or Licence to Perform High Risk Work (this will be returned after being checked by an Australia Post Customer Service Officer); and
  • The required application fee.


You can use this form to apply for an exemption from complying with the Occupational health and Safety Regulations 2007.

Any duty holder applying for an exemption must provide evidence to demonstrate that equivalent safety can be achieved (i.e. to at least the health and safety level equivalent to observance of the relevant provision(s).

Approval time

Forty five days

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance

WorkSafe Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Licensing Branch

WorkSafe Victoria

Department of Treasury and Finance

Operating address: 1 Malop Street
Geelong, Victoria 3220
Mailing address: GPO BOX 4293
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Phone: 03 9641 1555
Website: WorkSafe Victoria (Opens in new window)