Licence to Sell or Supply by Retail - Victoria


You will need this licence if you intend to sell or supply poisons or controlled substances by retail.

This licence does not authorise you to manufacture poisons or controlled substances. Schedule 2 poisons are the most common poisons and controlled substances sold by retail.

These substances are for therapeutic use, including certain pain relief medications, cough mixtures and travel sickness preparations, which may require advice from a pharmacist for safe use.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be a fit and proper person
  • nominate a Responsible Person
  • ensure your premises is suitable, sanitary and adequately equipped for retail sale or supply.

Your premises must be located at least 25 kilometres away from the nearest pharmacy business.




Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees may vary. Please consult the fees schedule for more information.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources Important
Common All Medicines and Poisons - Licence and Permit Fees Schedule (Opens in new window) Important

Act(s) name

Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Regulations 2017 Victoria

Lodgement process


Please submit your application on the approved online form to the Agency accompanied by the required fee.

Administering agency

Department of Health

Medicines and Poisons Regulation

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.