You will require this licence if
you intend to store explosives. Requirements vary depending on the type
of explosives, its hazard division, quantity involved, location of
storage, and its intended use. There are two licence categories:
- licence for medium scale storage
to store explosives in quantities above prescribed quantities (formerly
known as the licence to store explosives at a magazine).
covered by this licence consist of any self-contained portable items of
equipment of a reasonable size and volume designed to produce electric
current for firing charges, and may include, but are not limited to,
high explosives, detonating cords, safety fuses, detonators,
propellants, boosters, and certain fireworks.
This licence may also authorise the holder to sell or import explosives. This licence is not required for:
- authorised storage of explosives by a licensed explosives manufacturer, blaster or seller
- storage of consumer fireworks below a certain quantity
- industrial safety cartridges below a certain quantity
- pyrotechnicians storing fireworks for the 14 days leading up to a display
- the storage of safety or emergency systems or devices that are activated by explosives.
you hold a Victorian licence to operate a major hazard facility, you do
not require a licence to manufacture or store explosives. Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.