You will require this licence if you intend to store explosives. Requirements vary depending on the type of explosives, its hazard division, quantity involved, location of storage, and its intended use. There are two licence categories:
- licence for medium scale storage
- licence to store explosives in quantities above prescribed quantities (formerly known as the licence to store explosives at a magazine).
Explosives covered by this licence consist of any self-contained portable items of equipment of a reasonable size and volume designed to produce electric current for firing charges, and may include, but are not limited to, high explosives, detonating cords, safety fuses, detonators, propellants, boosters, and certain fireworks.
This licence may also authorise the holder to sell or import explosives. This licence is not required for:
- authorised storage of explosives by a licensed explosives manufacturer, blaster or seller
- storage of consumer fireworks below a certain quantity
- industrial safety cartridges below a certain quantity
- pyrotechnicians storing fireworks for the 14 days leading up to a display
- the storage of safety or emergency systems or devices that are activated by explosives.
If you hold a Victorian licence to operate a major hazard facility, you do not require a licence to manufacture or store explosives.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.