Licence to Undertake Works - Dams, Meters, Pumps and Offtakes - Victoria


You will need this licence to undertake works. You are undertaking works if you:

  • build, operate, alter or decommission a dam on a waterway or off a waterway if it is potentially hazardous
  • install or alter meters, pumps and offtakes.

You will also need a Licence to Divert Water from the Yarra River Catchment to use a dam for irrigation or commercial purposes. All new licence holders must have water meters installed, except if you intend to use your dam for domestic and stock purposes.

If you intend to build a new dam, you should contact the Agency and your local council for advice, as you may need a Construction Licence and / or a council planning permit.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Act(s) name

Water Act 1989 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Water (Resource Management) Regulations 2017 Victoria

Additional information

If you live in a rural residential area, you may also need to register your dam with your local water corporation.

Administering agency

Melbourne Water

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.