Liquor Licensing Exemptions - Victoria


A business is required to hold a liquor licence if it sells alcohol to its customers or guests. However, certain types of businesses are exempt from this requirement, provided that certain conditions are met.

These exemptions may apply to the following types of businesses:

  • bed and breakfast businesses
  • florists
  • gift-makers
  • hairdressers
  • butchers
  • hospitals
  • residential care services
  • retirement villages
  • cruise ships.

Conditions vary for each type of business. For example, the operator of a bed and breakfast may supply only 750mL of alcohol per day per room occupied. A butcher may only supply 1.5 litres of alcohol to a customer in a day.

Service type

Advisory Material

Advisory material provides advice and guidance in undertaking a business.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Act(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 Victoria

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Community Safety

Liquor Control Victoria

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Supporting information