You will need this licence if you intend to carry out a radiation practice. Radiation practice means:
- possession or disposal of a radiation source
- transport of radioactive material
- sale of radiation sources
- repairing, testing or maintaining radiation sources
- mining or processing radioactive material
- procuring or arranging research involving the irradiation of persons
- any activity that may result in exposing a person or the environment to radiation.
A radiation source means radioactive material, radiation apparatus or a sealed source apparatus.
A security plan will have to be submitted to an approved assessor for approval if you:
- intend to possess or transport high consequence sealed source(s)
- intend to vary a current licence in order to possess high consequence sealed source(s).
A sealed source is radioactive material that is either permanently sealed in a capsule or closely bound and in solid form. A high consequence sealed source is a category 1, 2 or 3 sealed source.