You will require this licence if you intend to operate a meat processing facility. There are a number of meat processing facilities that require this licence:
- Abattoirs - businesses that slaughter animals for human consumption
- Poultry processing facilities - businesses that slaughter and process poultry for human consumption
- Further meat processing facilities - businesses that process, pack, wholesale or store meat for human consumption
- Retail butcher shops - retail businesses that sell meat for human consumption (may also wholesale up to one tonne per week)
- Prime tallow processing facilities - businesses that purchase or acquire edible fat for rendering into prime tallow products
- Inedible rendering facilities - businesses that process inedible / edible offal by way of rendering (heating / drying) into inedible products
- Pet meat processing plants - businesses that slaughter animals not intended for human consumption
- Pet food establishments - businesses that wholesale, package or prepare pet food / pet meat for sale.
Only licensed retail butcher shops and further meat processing facilities can apply to manufacture smallgoods. You must obtain PrimeSafe approval before starting to manufacture smallgoods.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.