** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Motor Car Trader Licence - Victoria


You will need this licence to carry on a business that buys and sells used motor vehicles.

This applies to dealing in used cars, motorcycles, commercial vehicles and heavy vehicles. It does not include vehicles for use on rails or tramways, motorised wheelchairs, trailers, or farm vehicles. An endorsement to the licence is required if you intend to auction vehicles.

Any person who buys, sells or exchanges four or more motor vehicles in a twelve-month period is considered to be a motor car trader and will need to be licensed.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


You will not need this licence to deal in:

  • tractors
  • a vehicle with an engine designed to drive or operate agricultural implements as part of the vehicle
  • vehicles not intended for use on roads (by design).

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • be at least eighteen years old
  • have sufficient financial resources
  • be a fit and proper person to be a licensed motor car trader
  • not be currently disqualified from holding a motor car trader's licence in Australia
  • be able to demonstrate your premises will have the required planning permits
  • not be insolvent under administration
  • submit application form and all relevant documents
  • pay the relevant application fees.

Once you have submitted your application you will need to attend an interview where you will be tested on your knowledge of the motor car traders legislation and statutory forms that you are required by law to use.

Some circumstances require the applicant to apply for a new licence or a current licensee to apply for permission to be eligible to hold a motor car traders licence. These circumstances are:

  • having been found guilty or convicted of fraud, dishonesty, violence or drug trafficking punishable by more than three months prison
  • a claim has been admitted against the Motor Car Traders Guarantee Fund in relation to the individual or the company.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You will need to submit an annual statement every twelve months from the date your licence was issued.

You will also need to notify the Agency of any changes to your business including change of name and change of address.


Ongoing until surrendered, suspended or cancelled


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $2730.00

Combined application fee and first annual licence fee. Fees for 2023-24

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Fees and Forms - Motor Car Traders (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Motor Car Traders Act 1986 Victoria

Regulation(s) name

Motor Car Traders Regulations 2018 Victoria

Application process


Complete and lodge the motor car traders licence application. Your application must include a completed:

  • copy of a current bank account confirming available funds and a copy of a bank statement from any loan account
  • copy of the most recent council statements for any property held by you
  • consent to national criminal history and other record checks form
  • motor car traders declaration of personal finances form
  • motor car traders deed of indemnity form
  • motor car traders proposed business plan
  • motor car traders estimated cash flow projection for the first 12 months of trading
  • if you are currently trading in any other business (e.g. panel beating, mechanical workshop or non-motor car related business), a copy of the Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Statement for the last financial year - a company Balance Sheet is still required even if the company was recently incorporated
  • unless you are proposing to operate the motor car trading business from a location which was occupied by a licensed motor car trader within the last six months prior to your application, for each of the proposed trading premises you must provide a current planning permit or a letter from the appropriate local council indicating that you can lawfully carry on a motor car trading business at each premises.

Depending on the nature of your application, you may need to complete other relevant forms.

Approval time

Generally within eight weeks

Additional information

If you withdraw your application before it is considered by the Agency, or your application is refused, the Agency must refund the licence fee.

If your licence is refused you are not permitted to lodge an application within two years of refusal.

Interstate workers will need to notify the Agency before they can rely on Automatic Mutual Recognition to act as a Motor Car Trader.

Administering agency

Business Licensing Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.